Download our press kit.Includes logo, brand guidelines, photography, etc.
May 27th, 2021
Andrew Yang and Former Chair of City Council Committee on Public Safety Vanessa Gibson Release Summer Safety Plan to Reduce Gun Violence and Keep Neighborhoods Safe Now
**RELEASE** May 27th, 2021
Yang's "Safe Summer” Plan Would Boost Detectives in Gun Suppression Division by 50%, Increase Shifts for MTA Subway Officers, Increase Police Presence in Major Public Areas and Invest in Proven Community Programs, as well as Fast Track Community Requests for Lighting and Other Safety Measures
New York, NY —Video Available HEREWith violent crime on the rise and warmer weather approaching, Andrew Yang joined with endorser, former Chair of the NYC Council Committee on Public Safety, and Bronx Borough President candidate Vanessa Gibson to release a new plan to keep New Yorkers safe during the summer.
Said Andrew Yang, “Gun violence is skyrocketing across our city, and with summer around the corner, we need a detailed plan of action to stop it before it gets any worse. Today, we've laid out a comprehensive approach that will solve more crimes, increase public safety on our subways, and dedicate more resources to the types of community programming that we know drive down crime. Clearance rates of 25% are unacceptable and we're determined to make that change. We call on Mayor de Blasio to implement these changes right away."
Said Council Member, former Chair of the Council Public Safety Committee, and Bronx Borough President candidate Vanessa Gibson, “Every New Yorker has an expectation to be safe, no matter where they live, their zip code, how much is in their bank account, their race, ethnicity, or religion. Unfortunately, we’ve seen far too much gun violence in New York. I take this issue personally because in my own district I’ve had to mourn with mothers and fathers and bury children who have been victims of the vicious cycle of gun violence. Every day, there have been shootings across the Bronx, but gun violence is not normal. We need to take guns out of people’s hands and offer them a job. Through our pain we find purpose and we develop a plan – this plan that Andrew is proposing today is transformative.”
As mayor, Andrew Yang will:
- Make the 250 new officers assigned to our subways a 24/7 presence, not just during rush hour; and require officers to patrol every subway car at least twice during each route.
- Suppress gang and gun violence by adding 100 new detectives to the Gun Violence Suppression Division, an increase of 50%;
- Secure our houses of worship and improve public spaces;
- Take a community-oriented approach to neighborhood crime reduction with rapid response to community requests for more lighting, particularly in NYCHA developments; and
- Give young people a chance to work by fully funding and expanding the Summer Youth Employment Program.
You can read Andrew Yang’s full plan for A Safe Summer here.